With the Philippines officially having kicked off Nutrition Month 2019 this past July, people are again reminded of how important exercise is. Paired with proper nutrition and eating habits, not only does exercise ensure that your body is in tip-top condition, but it also acts as a daily stress reliever.
If you’re finding it quite the challenge to fit a work-out into your daily routine, an article by Manila Bulletin notes that scheduling your work-outs might be your key to self-discipline, as treating it like a commitment guarantees that it will happen, compared to just working out when you feel like it. It also gives you a space away from your office and your home to forget about your worries for the day and focus on getting a good sweat going with the proper ambiance and equipment.
But let’s say that you’ve tried countless gyms and they don’t seem to work for you. If this is the case, maybe it’s about time you try independent gyms that offer exciting, muscle-specific workouts. Unlike bigger, more conventional gyms, Esquire Magazine differentiates independent fitness gyms as gyms that offer classes that are available at varying price points and guided by a fitness professional.
Whatever the workout, what’s important is that you find something that you’ll enjoy and can see yourself doing long-term. If you’re not sure how to start, here’s a list of independent gyms that offer fitness classes you may want to try out.
With studios in the busy and accessible areas of Ortigas and Makati, YogaPlus has yoga classes that will help you get your blood pumping, whatever your fitness level may be. Offering a wide range of yoga styles including Hot Yoga, Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Jivamukti, Yin, Trapeze, and Hot Pilates, you’ll be sure to find something that both fits your schedule and your fitness goals.
- PRICE: First timers get unlimited classes for 1 week free, and unlimited classes for 1 month at Php2,249.
- LOCATION: YogaPlus Makati at Tordesillas cor. Gallardo Sts., Salcedo Village, YogaPlus BGC at The Fort Legend Tower 3rd Ave. cor 31st St., BGC; YogaPlus Ortigas at Level 4 of the Podium, ADB Ave. Ortigas, and YogaPlus McKinley at 2F Venice Grand Canal Mall, McKinley Hill.
If you’re a complete fitness newbie and you’re finding it a bit difficult to get started, Urban Ashram offers yoga classes that are perfect for the absolute yoga beginner. Founded on a mission to make yoga more accessible to everyone regardless of age or physical capacity, you’ll be treated to a well-rounded introduction into the fundamentals of yoga as your new exercise habit.
- PRICE: The New-To-Yoga Pass for first timers is at Php1,500 with unlimited classes for 15 days.
- LOCATION: Urban Ashram Pasig at 3F Brixton Building, Brixton St., Kapitolyo; and Urban Ashram BGC at 9F The Menarco Tower, 32nd cor 9th Aves. BGC.
Onelife Pilates Studio
If you’re looking for a personalized one-on-one session, Onelife Studio offers private Pilates sessions with meticulously trained trainers and physiologists. If you have postural issues, health problems, or joint sensitivities, you may want to book a class. With slow, low-impact, low-intensity exercises, a private Pilates class will give you the confidence you need to know your body better and develop functional fitness that will help you be and feel like your best self.
- PRICE: The New-to-Onelife Starter Pack includes a Health, Fitness, and Posture Assessment session, 3 personal training sessions, and a Physio-led stretch session at Php5000.
- LOCATION: OneLife San Juan at 2F Citiplace Bldg., Jose Abad Santos St. cor Calderon St., Brgy. Little Baguio, San Juan; OneLife Legaspi at Unit 207 Plaza One Hundred, 100 VA Rufino St., Legaspi Village Makati; and Onelife Westgate at 2F Westgate Hub Mall, Filinvest Corporate City, Alabang-Zapote Rd, Muntinlupa.
Elev8 Lagree Studio
An article by Glamour is all praises for Lagree Fitness, a patented low-impact high-intensity workout that celebrities all over the world have been swearing by. If you’re looking to get the same tight, toned physique, right in the heart of BGC is Elev8, a Lagree-certified studio that offers a dynamic, 45-minute group workout done on a Megaformer. The Megaformer is similar to a Pilates reformer, but more advanced and updated in order to support a variety of exercises that burn fat and sculpt muscles at a reportedly faster rate than any other fitness program. With Lagree-certified instructors teaching unique classes that target different muscle groups every class, you’re sure to be in good hands.
- PRICE: First-time clients can avail of 3 sessions for Php2,000, valid for 2 weeks.
- LOCATION: Elev8 is at 9F Ore Central Bldg, 9th Ave. cor 31st St., BGC.
According to Fitness Magazine, barre classes are exercises done using the ballet barre as a balance prop while focusing on isometric strength training and core work. These are great for muscle toning, and if you’re curious, Plana Forma brings a unique brand of barre workouts to Manila. With locations in Quezon City, Makati, and Alabang, and a variety of barre-based classes to choose from, it’s something you might want to try out. If you have grip socks, don’t forget to pop a pair in your bag before you come in for a class. If you don’t, they do sell fun pairs in different colors in their studios!
- PRICE: Newcomer’s 2 for 1 Special at Php650, good for a month, or the Newbie’s Unli with 1 month unlimited classes for Php3,500.
- LOCATION: Plana Forma Quezon City at 3F Il Terrazzo Building, Tomas Morato; Plana Forma Makati at 17F Frabelle Building, 111 Rada St. Makati; and Plana Forma Alabang at Unit 15 Molito Lifestyle Center, Madrigal Ave., Alabang Zapote, Ayala Alabang.
If you’re short on time but looking for a stress-relieving, fuss-free sweat session, then maybe you’d like to consider spinning or indoor cycling. Electric Studio offers 45-60 minute spin classes done in a neon-lit, energizing indoor cycling studio that will give you a fun, cardio-heavy workout as you spin to heart-pumping music and fun choreography.
- PRICE: The First Timer Package has 5 rides for Php1,500, good for 30 days.
- LOCATION: Electric Studio BGC at 2F 8 ForbesTown Rd., BGC; Electric Studio Salcedo at G/F Two Central 107 Valero St., Salcedo; and Electric Studio Podium at 4F The Podium Mall, ADB Ave., Ortigas.
If you’re looking to invest in a studio that has a variety of different classes you can try, Saddle Row offers indoor cycling, indoor rowing, and other group workouts that are all bookable through the packages that they offer. Whether you’re looking for an energy-boosting indoor cycling class, some grounding and strengthening via an indoor rowing class, or some stretching and muscle toning through a HIIT or a yoga class, Saddle Row will have the workout for you. They’ve also set themselves apart with some snazzy instructors who will definitely make your day’s sweat session worth it!
- PRICE: The First Timer Card for Php2,000 has 5 classes, both for rowing and indoor cycling, good for 14 days.
- LOCATION: Saddle Row Central Square at 2F Central Square Mall, Bonifacio High Street, BGC; and Saddle Row Rockwell at R3 Level Powerplant Mall, Makati.
Sparta Calisthenics Academy
Looking for a workout that will help you push yourself to your maximum ability? The Sparta Calisthenics Academy offers classes that are purely based on bodyweight strength exercises with minimal equipment. Calisthenics, as defined by an article by MensHealth.com, is a fitness program that uses bodyweight and the pull of gravity to get people to challenge their fitness levels. Sparta Philippines, inspired by the lifestyle of the Greek Spartans, dares everyone to bring their A-game to the table and challenge their bodies, physically and mentally honing the inner strength they may have been afraid to discover.
- PRICE: 10 class pass for Php1,800 or unlimited classes for a month for Php4,500.
- LOCATION: SPARTA (Sports and Recreational Training Area) is at 126 Pioneer St., Mandaluyong.
Taking the world by storm is the workout known as CrossFit, a functional fitness program done at high intensity that combines exercises inspired by Olympic weightlifting, calisthenics, gymnastics, and cardio. You’re sure to have a well-rounded workout every time you come in, as what keeps CrossFit enthusiasts from coming back is that coaches have different sets of Workouts of the Day (WOD) everyday. Known as the biggest CrossFit box in the country, Primal Ape boasts a complete set of equipment, so you won’t have to worry about wading into a crowd while trying to get a hand on a pull-up bar. To tap into your competitive side, Primal Ape also has everyone count their scores after a full round of the WOD, and encourages them to log in their scores by the end. If all of the no-nonsense and rugged equipment intimidates you, not to fret, as their coaches tell first-timers to always pace themselves accordingly and know their own limits.
- PRICE: Primal Ape offers a free introductory class for beginners
- LOCATION: Primal Ape is at 2135 Don Chino Roces Avenue, Makati.
Inspired by the Filipino talents in powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, and CrossFit, Silangan Fitness is a CrossFit box in Ortigas focused on developing the average Filipino’s full potential as an athlete. With their mission statement dedicated to the idea that fitness is and should be for everyone, this newly opened box aims to develop a tight-knit community focused on making everyone feel like their best and strongest self. They aim to do this while still nurturing the challenges of each day’s WOD, and making the most out of your day’s workout.
- PRICE: Silangan Fitness offers a free trial class for beginners.
- LOCATION: Silangan Fitness is at Unit G7, GF ADB Avenue Tower, ADB Ave., Ortigas
Do you feel like wall climbing would be something you’d like to do for a good workout? Check out Daydreaming in Paradise’s list of places where you can try it out!
Jane Adamson is a Canadian import who moved to the Philippines three years ago for a change of pace. After working in the corporate world for ten years, she decided one day to pack up her things and head halfway across the world for a taste of living somewhere brand new.
She lived and worked in Bangkok and Ipoh for a few months as an English teacher, before eventually washing up on the shores of the Philippines. While she has a variety of different interests, Jane’s first loves have always been food and fashion, and she’s looking forward to sharing her thoughts on these on Daydreaming in Paradise.